If you want something simple, but still want it to feel special, then you are sure to love this easy bruschetta chicken recipe. It’s packed with flavor, and sure to be a hit with the whole family. The perfect combination of garlic, balsamic vinegar, and fresh herbs, makes this dish irresistible.
Italian Balsamic Chicken
Are you looking for a delicious, yet easy-to-make meal the whole family can enjoy? Look no further than this classic Italian balsamic chicken recipe. It’s a fun idea that can be made on the stovetop, in the oven, in an air fryer, or on the grill. A versatile and flavorful dish!
This scrumptious dish is irresistibly tender and flavorful thanks to an exquisite combination of savory balsamic vinegar, garlic, and herbs. Not only is it simple to prepare but its intense flavor makes it fit for a special occasion. Perfect if you’re hosting dinner or want to treat yourself after a long day. See why this dish has become my go-to favorite during busy weeknights.
Below are two lists of ingredients. The first is for the chicken and the second will be for the fresh topping added after cooking. For exact measurements, check the printable recipe card at the bottom of the website.
For the chicken:
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts – 4 thinly sliced, or 2 regular breasts sliced in half
- Italian seasoning (or a mix of dried oregano, basil, and thyme)
- Olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
For the bruschetta:
- Red onion
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese
- Balsamic vinegar
How to Make Bruschetta Chicken
Season the chicken breasts with Italian herbs, salt, and garlic. You can use fresh garlic or powdered garlic, depending on your preference. Then, you will heat the olive oil in a large skillet, or brush on a grill pan.
Cook the chicken for 4 to 6 minutes per side. You want to brown it nicely, but not overcook it. A thinly sliced chicken breast can be cooked in as little as 5 minutes, while fuller pieces may need up to 12 minutes. Use a meat thermometer for the most accurate measurement of doneness. You want it to reach at least 165°F internally.
While this is cooking, put the balsamic vinegar into a saucepan and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to low and cook for 5 to 8 minutes, until thickened. If too acidic, add sugar 1 teaspoon at a time until the desired flavor is reached.
Chop the tomatoes, red onion, basil, and garlic. Then add this to a bowl with olive oil and salt. Mix to combine, taste, and season if needed.
Serve the chicken breasts with a spoon of bruschetta, a bit of shredded cheese, and a drizzle of the balsamic glaze.
What Do I Serve with Bruschetta Chicken
This is a classic chicken dish that can go with just about anything. Perfect to pair with a simple side salad and garlic bread or pair it with heartier sides.
It also pairs beautifully with potatoes, either roasted, mashed, or baked. Even sweet potatoes pair nicely with bruschetta chicken. You can also use a side of rice, like wild rice pilaf, or just basic white rice. Simple roasted vegetables are a great side dish.
What are some variations of bruschetta chicken?
Want to make this a bit different but keep with the same process? Check out some ideas below!
- Bruschetta chicken breasts can also be made with chicken thighs
- Change it up by using thinly sliced pork chops instead of chicken
- Add red pepper flakes to the mixture for some extra heat
- Choose a different cheese such as feta or mozzarella
- Make it vegetarian by grilling tofu steaks instead of chicken
- Add sun-dried tomatoes and olives to the bruschetta instead of fresh tomatoes
- Add whipping cream and butter to the balsamic glaze for a creamy sauce
For extra flavor, marinate the chicken in olive oil and Italian seasoning for 1-2 hours before cooking. Marinating helps to get the flavor deep inside the chicken. This is a step I always recommend. Even 30 minutes will help with the flavor.
If you have time, let the tomato mixture sit at room temperature to allow the flavors to develop while you cook the chicken.
If using brown sugar on the bruschetta chicken, watch your glaze carefully to prevent burning.
Bruschetta chicken will last in the fridge for up to 3 days when stored in an air-tight container. It is best reheated before eating. It can be frozen for up to 3 months. Just make sure to store it in an air-tight container or freezer bag before freezing. When ready to eat, thaw completely and reheat until warmed through.
If you like this recipe, then check out my cookbooks. I’ve created 4 books filled with delicious recipes that are easy to make, packed with flavor, and ideal for a new cook!
- Mediterranean Air Fryer: 95 Healthy Recipes to Fry, Roast, Bake, and Grill
- Clean Eating Air Fryer Cookbook: 70 Healthy Whole-Food Recipes
- The Complete Dutch Oven Cookbook: 105 Recipes for Your Most Versatile Pot
- The Complete Cookbook for Beginners: Essential Skills and Step-by-Step Techniques
Savor the Italian classic at home with our Bruschetta Chicken recipe. Fresh tomatoes, basil, and grilled chicken create a symphony of flavors for an unforgettable meal.
For the chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
For the bruschetta
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 cup fresh basil, shredded or chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, freshly shredded/shaved
- Heat a large skillet or grill pan over medium heat. Add the olive oil, brushing to coat the base of the skillet or pan.
- Season the chicken with salt, garlic, and herbs. Then, place into the pan and cook for 4 minutes. Turn, and continue cooking for 4 to 6 minutes, depending upon the thickness of the chicken. Once it has reached 165°F internally, remove the chicken from the pan and set aside to rest.
- In a saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar over high heat and bring to a boil. If desired add 1 to 2 teaspoons of sugar to the mixture. Once boiling, reduce it to low heat and simmer for 5 minutes, or until it is thickened.
- In a large bowl, mix together the tomatoes, red onion, garlic, basil, salt, and olive oil.
- Spoon the tomato mixture over the chicken breasts and top with freshly shredded parmesan.
- Drizzle with the balsamic glaze.
- This can also be made with chicken thighs if you prefer.
- Roma or beefsteak tomatoes have the best flavor in bruschetta
- For richness, roast the garlic before chopping to add to the bruschetta.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 401Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 12gCholesterol: 113mgSodium: 1491mgCarbohydrates: 14gFiber: 2gSugar: 8gProtein: 42g